Skip to main content

Project evaluation

This unit really showed me that I could never be a director, it's way too stressful and I'm really not the most organised person out there and I think when it came to filming in our previous unit - while directing I wasn't really thinking about the fact that I'm directing and that made me feel under less presure than in this unit. Also I found it hard not to do the camera work myself, eventhough I trusted Lauren who was my DP and I knew that she'll do her best, but for some reason I just feel way better handeling the camera myself (which I had to fight myself not to do at times). I could say that partially I enjoyed this project, it's just that I enjoyed it way more when I was someones DP or a sound person (eventhough i couldn't lift my arms for a week afterwards).
If I could change something about my project, I probably would have started looking for actors a bit sooner, even if I didn't have scheduled everything, it just would have helped if I had some more time to find the actors (not that I'm not happy with actors who ended up acting in my film) maybe that way I would have had a bit less stressful experience with people dropping out. Also, I think it would have really helped if I had looked at the shotlist I made so I wouldn't have missed to film close ups. By the end of the shoot I was confident I had all the shots I needed but once I sat down to edit it I saw that I was missing some of the shots that I thought I really had. I'm not sure if I forgot to get the shots or were they lost somewhere in all of the files, but however I had to deal with what I had and made the best cut that I could at the moment. It's not perfect but it could have been worse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Influences DOPs and the genre

BEN DAVIS DOP in numerous superhero films, such as Kick-ass, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Doctor Strange, and Captain Marvel. The films I want to focus more on is Kick-ass and Captain Marvel because the audience gets to see how the main characters become superheroes and that is more relevant to our project "The 7 Billionth Hero". In "Kick-ass" all of the superheroes are just people who don't have any special powers. The Protagonist decides to become a superhero and fight crime and starts a new superhero trend.  There's a lot of interesting POV shots  Mirror POV, when he's practicing what he's gonna say to the bad guys. Phone camera    I particularly like this film for lighting. Most of the fight scenes are filmed in low light and there's a contrast between his everyday life and his superhero life. It's bright, warm and slightly yellowish, but at the same time is very monotone to show the boredom a...

Studio Idea

Personally, I found it really difficult to come up with an interesting studio production idea. But because "one idea is not enough" (Brown and Duthie, 2010)  I came up with 3 initial ideas: 1) Guess the song type of game show, but instead of guessing pop songs, the contestants would have to guess classical music. I got this idea from a game my friends and I loved to play and the way my music teacher used to test my class.  2) Travel guide about how to make the most of your trip, places worth visiting and places that are overrated and not worth your time. I got this idea from my sister who travels a lot and from the way she does loads of research about each and every place she visits. 3) Debate/Game show where 2 groups of people debate about nerdy topics ( whats better Marvel or DC, which Doctor was the best etc.). The idea comes from noticing how much rivalry there is between comic book lovers and overall 'nerds'. I feel like this idea is the stronge...

JVC camera

During our studio production rehearsals, I was behind the JVC camera. Everyone in our camera crew agreed that it was the best to stick by one camera and master working with it instead of bouncing from one to another. I've never worked with a JVC camera so it was tricky to figure out. The first day I picked it up felt like my first day in uni when I knew very little about cameras, it took me ages to find the on/off switch. To help me better to understand where I can find all of the settings and buttons I took the camera out. I wanted to go through the settings so I would be confident in knowing where I can find certain settings if needed. Before that, I couldn't find peaking on it which helps with keeping everything in focus especially when people move more. Found out that if you turn the peaking on you can only see things in black and white and the peaking colour, of which I wasn't a fan, but at the same time I found out that you can increase peaking on the...