Skip to main content

Documentary: Miss Representation


The documentary is done by American filmaker Jennifer Siebel Newsom to show how the media missrepresents women, how it's mainly targeted towards men and how this affects young girls.
Although the statistics used are mostly American, big part of the facts apply to most countries.
 I chose this documentary in particular because we're doing our own documentary about women in sports and I found this to be relevant to the subject. The representation in the media helps to form the society's mainset and the studies show that there's definitely coralation between what we see on TV and what we do/ how we treat others in real life. Thus due to the lack of women in sports representation in the media we have the statistics that show that by age 14, girls are dropping out of sports at two times the rate of boys. I personally love the quote used to describe the documentary "You can't be what you can't see" so eventhough there's lots of talented and strong women out there, the media choses to focus on their looks and not their intelligence or talent which is one of the reasons why girls drop out of sports (there's not that much represantation and sports are seen as men's field). Personally, I really liked this documentary because of severeal reasons, one - it's relevant to me as a young woman who wants to one day work in television industry and be treated as equal to men on the same job, two - it talks about the issue that everybody knows about and grown to see it as a norm (the society sees almost naked women in  films as an ok thing), three - it is relevant to my research for our film.
The documentary has a bit of commentary, but it's used to not only link one subject to another it also adds to the story, because the film's creator talks about her expirence growing up and how she wants a better future for her daughter. The facts, statistics and quotes were just the text on the screen, there was none narrating them. The film mostly used only talking heads in a studio and archive videos and pictures. Due to how many people were talking there always would be a caption indicating who the person is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Influences DOPs and the genre

BEN DAVIS DOP in numerous superhero films, such as Kick-ass, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Doctor Strange, and Captain Marvel. The films I want to focus more on is Kick-ass and Captain Marvel because the audience gets to see how the main characters become superheroes and that is more relevant to our project "The 7 Billionth Hero". In "Kick-ass" all of the superheroes are just people who don't have any special powers. The Protagonist decides to become a superhero and fight crime and starts a new superhero trend.  There's a lot of interesting POV shots  Mirror POV, when he's practicing what he's gonna say to the bad guys. Phone camera    I particularly like this film for lighting. Most of the fight scenes are filmed in low light and there's a contrast between his everyday life and his superhero life. It's bright, warm and slightly yellowish, but at the same time is very monotone to show the boredom a...

Studio Idea

Personally, I found it really difficult to come up with an interesting studio production idea. But because "one idea is not enough" (Brown and Duthie, 2010)  I came up with 3 initial ideas: 1) Guess the song type of game show, but instead of guessing pop songs, the contestants would have to guess classical music. I got this idea from a game my friends and I loved to play and the way my music teacher used to test my class.  2) Travel guide about how to make the most of your trip, places worth visiting and places that are overrated and not worth your time. I got this idea from my sister who travels a lot and from the way she does loads of research about each and every place she visits. 3) Debate/Game show where 2 groups of people debate about nerdy topics ( whats better Marvel or DC, which Doctor was the best etc.). The idea comes from noticing how much rivalry there is between comic book lovers and overall 'nerds'. I feel like this idea is the stronge...

JVC camera

During our studio production rehearsals, I was behind the JVC camera. Everyone in our camera crew agreed that it was the best to stick by one camera and master working with it instead of bouncing from one to another. I've never worked with a JVC camera so it was tricky to figure out. The first day I picked it up felt like my first day in uni when I knew very little about cameras, it took me ages to find the on/off switch. To help me better to understand where I can find all of the settings and buttons I took the camera out. I wanted to go through the settings so I would be confident in knowing where I can find certain settings if needed. Before that, I couldn't find peaking on it which helps with keeping everything in focus especially when people move more. Found out that if you turn the peaking on you can only see things in black and white and the peaking colour, of which I wasn't a fan, but at the same time I found out that you can increase peaking on the...