Skip to main content

Camera work and lighting


The Green Screen


Filming news is a lot like filming the documentaries. However working with green screen was more difficult than it might have seemed from the first thought. First of all the green screen must be evenly lit and, as we learned in our green screen workshop, there has to be fixed distance from the green screen to a person. Even though we seemed to light Michael pretty well, he moved few steps back and ended up blending in with the background. and so on our actual shoot we had a bit of tape that showed where the news reader should stand. That helped a lot with bothe the lighting and framing as the other thing I've learned is to make sure that the news presenter is in the middle and that the shot should be either a close up or a wide (unless theres a desk). Also, it made me remember to check that the camera was leveled with the readers eyes as during our workshop it was just a bit lower.
To light our set we used 4 lights, 2 for the background and 2(key and fill) for the reader.



Handheld

For our 'live' we decided to go handheld as it looks more authentic and allows more movement, rather than just staying on a two shot. However we mesed up a little by shooting handheld while introducing the location, as it wasn't neccessary. 
For the live we had 2 lights (and the lights that were already there in the gaming centre), one light on one person an the other on another. Other than our 'live' was pretty dificult to film as the artificial light that's in there made everyone a bit green  and not having things well lit made it harder to focus the camera. 

Interview


The interview was pretty easy as I remembered everything from filming our documentary, the difference was that this time we had reverses and idealy I would have liked to have lit Lauren, but she insisted not to.
For this we pretty much used the same set up as for our green screen, just lowered the lights lighting the person to his level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Influences DOPs and the genre

BEN DAVIS DOP in numerous superhero films, such as Kick-ass, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Doctor Strange, and Captain Marvel. The films I want to focus more on is Kick-ass and Captain Marvel because the audience gets to see how the main characters become superheroes and that is more relevant to our project "The 7 Billionth Hero". In "Kick-ass" all of the superheroes are just people who don't have any special powers. The Protagonist decides to become a superhero and fight crime and starts a new superhero trend.  There's a lot of interesting POV shots  Mirror POV, when he's practicing what he's gonna say to the bad guys. Phone camera    I particularly like this film for lighting. Most of the fight scenes are filmed in low light and there's a contrast between his everyday life and his superhero life. It's bright, warm and slightly yellowish, but at the same time is very monotone to show the boredom a...

Studio Idea

Personally, I found it really difficult to come up with an interesting studio production idea. But because "one idea is not enough" (Brown and Duthie, 2010)  I came up with 3 initial ideas: 1) Guess the song type of game show, but instead of guessing pop songs, the contestants would have to guess classical music. I got this idea from a game my friends and I loved to play and the way my music teacher used to test my class.  2) Travel guide about how to make the most of your trip, places worth visiting and places that are overrated and not worth your time. I got this idea from my sister who travels a lot and from the way she does loads of research about each and every place she visits. 3) Debate/Game show where 2 groups of people debate about nerdy topics ( whats better Marvel or DC, which Doctor was the best etc.). The idea comes from noticing how much rivalry there is between comic book lovers and overall 'nerds'. I feel like this idea is the stronge...

JVC camera

During our studio production rehearsals, I was behind the JVC camera. Everyone in our camera crew agreed that it was the best to stick by one camera and master working with it instead of bouncing from one to another. I've never worked with a JVC camera so it was tricky to figure out. The first day I picked it up felt like my first day in uni when I knew very little about cameras, it took me ages to find the on/off switch. To help me better to understand where I can find all of the settings and buttons I took the camera out. I wanted to go through the settings so I would be confident in knowing where I can find certain settings if needed. Before that, I couldn't find peaking on it which helps with keeping everything in focus especially when people move more. Found out that if you turn the peaking on you can only see things in black and white and the peaking colour, of which I wasn't a fan, but at the same time I found out that you can increase peaking on the...