Skip to main content

Location and production design

When I first had the idea to redirect this scene I thought about filming it in the Studios and try my best to make it look like a modern, minimalistic hotel (which I ended up doing). 
Especially the staircase scene, watching it I could definitely see it filmed there, of course it wasn't as high as they used in the show but I thought it could be fitting. I was really confident with this idea up until I noticed how dark it is there and tried to film a person running down it.  Thank God and Jo for getting the other staircase that had natural light in it and not just pretty bad lamps.

But the thing I struggled the most with was finding a place to film the meeting as I was advised to find a place with a more grand decor. In a way it really scared me because if I could get the room to film in how was I supposed to get all the kit/cast and crew to the place if I don't drive and have nobody to get all of it there. Not really sure if it's lucky but part of me was glad I wasn't able to get a room to film in. Although it probably would have been better for the scene if it was filmed in a place like Oakwood House or Bradbourne House.


In the end, it may have not been perfect but I am happy of how my set turned out, I think I did the best in the situation I found myself in at that moment. Instead of going for grand decor I ended up with a minimalistic hotel look. For this shoot I needed a fake gun, a thick law book and something that looked like weed. Because I needed the gun for literally few seconds I wasn't really planing on spending more than 5paunds, thankfully I found it in Paundland, although I had to paint it black (if it's illegal pretend that you didn't just read that), for a book I went to the biggest library in Maidstone and found something that looked simmilar to the one they used in the show, but probably my biggest headache when it came to props was the fake weed part. It took me a while to think of what I could use to replace the "weed" and after some good thinking I remembered that I had lots of herbal tea, which is what I ended up using, it looked real (at least to someone that has never seen how it looks in real life) and smelled of pepermint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Influences DOPs and the genre

BEN DAVIS DOP in numerous superhero films, such as Kick-ass, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Doctor Strange, and Captain Marvel. The films I want to focus more on is Kick-ass and Captain Marvel because the audience gets to see how the main characters become superheroes and that is more relevant to our project "The 7 Billionth Hero". In "Kick-ass" all of the superheroes are just people who don't have any special powers. The Protagonist decides to become a superhero and fight crime and starts a new superhero trend.  There's a lot of interesting POV shots  Mirror POV, when he's practicing what he's gonna say to the bad guys. Phone camera    I particularly like this film for lighting. Most of the fight scenes are filmed in low light and there's a contrast between his everyday life and his superhero life. It's bright, warm and slightly yellowish, but at the same time is very monotone to show the boredom a...

Studio Idea

Personally, I found it really difficult to come up with an interesting studio production idea. But because "one idea is not enough" (Brown and Duthie, 2010)  I came up with 3 initial ideas: 1) Guess the song type of game show, but instead of guessing pop songs, the contestants would have to guess classical music. I got this idea from a game my friends and I loved to play and the way my music teacher used to test my class.  2) Travel guide about how to make the most of your trip, places worth visiting and places that are overrated and not worth your time. I got this idea from my sister who travels a lot and from the way she does loads of research about each and every place she visits. 3) Debate/Game show where 2 groups of people debate about nerdy topics ( whats better Marvel or DC, which Doctor was the best etc.). The idea comes from noticing how much rivalry there is between comic book lovers and overall 'nerds'. I feel like this idea is the stronge...

JVC camera

During our studio production rehearsals, I was behind the JVC camera. Everyone in our camera crew agreed that it was the best to stick by one camera and master working with it instead of bouncing from one to another. I've never worked with a JVC camera so it was tricky to figure out. The first day I picked it up felt like my first day in uni when I knew very little about cameras, it took me ages to find the on/off switch. To help me better to understand where I can find all of the settings and buttons I took the camera out. I wanted to go through the settings so I would be confident in knowing where I can find certain settings if needed. Before that, I couldn't find peaking on it which helps with keeping everything in focus especially when people move more. Found out that if you turn the peaking on you can only see things in black and white and the peaking colour, of which I wasn't a fan, but at the same time I found out that you can increase peaking on the...