Skip to main content

FAKE NEWS



The term was popularised mostly by Donald Trump in order to dismiss all negative press about himself. 
It may not seem as harmful as it actually is, 'fake news' are thought to have an impact on the recent USA president election and brexit. Due to anyone being able to create an online platform and post almost anything they want 'fake news' has become worse than ever. It's very easy to make up a scandalous story and photoshop a picture, post it and see what happens. Sadly a lot of people fall for these stories and they don't even bother to check if the sources are credible and are there more articles about the story. This blind trust in everything that a person reads on the internet can lead to people not voting or push someone who hasn't decided who they want to vote for yet to one side or the other. 
Although, sometimes it can be fun to mess with people who are naive enough to believe the most ridiculous stories. That's exactly what one of Lithuanian comedians and influencers Oleg Surajev does. He has created an online platform called 1K.lt where he and his team uploads fake horoscopes and fake news stories. This one [x] is about drugs getting more expensive and less effective and that our government will try to stop the prices from rising. Any person with common sense would think that no one would ever fall for a story like that, especially when the 'reporter' uses such words as 'shit' and most importantly because drugs are illegal so story about the government promising druggies to lower the prices could never be real. But because the rising prices after changing our currency to euro is a real and common topic some people actually fell for this and left their opinions in the comment section. All of his 'fake news'  stories have one thing in common - it's how relative they are to people at the moment, it targets the government, emigration and the economics but puts the topics in a very unlikely scenarios. By doing these stories he tries to spread awareness about the danger of fake news, he encourages people to do a simple google search and check the sources that the story comes from. And personally, I think that that's really funny and smart.
And probably because it's near impossible for me to come up with serious ideas, the first thing that poped into my head when I heard the assignment was fake news. But I'm aware that that has been done and that we can't make up the stories for this unit, I thought about the show where the fake news stories could be debunked. One of ideas I had for an OB/VOX pop, was geting 2 real news headlines and one fake and asking people to guess which is the fake one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Influences DOPs and the genre

BEN DAVIS DOP in numerous superhero films, such as Kick-ass, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Doctor Strange, and Captain Marvel. The films I want to focus more on is Kick-ass and Captain Marvel because the audience gets to see how the main characters become superheroes and that is more relevant to our project "The 7 Billionth Hero". In "Kick-ass" all of the superheroes are just people who don't have any special powers. The Protagonist decides to become a superhero and fight crime and starts a new superhero trend.  There's a lot of interesting POV shots  Mirror POV, when he's practicing what he's gonna say to the bad guys. Phone camera    I particularly like this film for lighting. Most of the fight scenes are filmed in low light and there's a contrast between his everyday life and his superhero life. It's bright, warm and slightly yellowish, but at the same time is very monotone to show the boredom a...

Studio Idea

Personally, I found it really difficult to come up with an interesting studio production idea. But because "one idea is not enough" (Brown and Duthie, 2010)  I came up with 3 initial ideas: 1) Guess the song type of game show, but instead of guessing pop songs, the contestants would have to guess classical music. I got this idea from a game my friends and I loved to play and the way my music teacher used to test my class.  2) Travel guide about how to make the most of your trip, places worth visiting and places that are overrated and not worth your time. I got this idea from my sister who travels a lot and from the way she does loads of research about each and every place she visits. 3) Debate/Game show where 2 groups of people debate about nerdy topics ( whats better Marvel or DC, which Doctor was the best etc.). The idea comes from noticing how much rivalry there is between comic book lovers and overall 'nerds'. I feel like this idea is the stronge...

JVC camera

During our studio production rehearsals, I was behind the JVC camera. Everyone in our camera crew agreed that it was the best to stick by one camera and master working with it instead of bouncing from one to another. I've never worked with a JVC camera so it was tricky to figure out. The first day I picked it up felt like my first day in uni when I knew very little about cameras, it took me ages to find the on/off switch. To help me better to understand where I can find all of the settings and buttons I took the camera out. I wanted to go through the settings so I would be confident in knowing where I can find certain settings if needed. Before that, I couldn't find peaking on it which helps with keeping everything in focus especially when people move more. Found out that if you turn the peaking on you can only see things in black and white and the peaking colour, of which I wasn't a fan, but at the same time I found out that you can increase peaking on the...